205 S. E. Catawba Road
Port Clinton, OH 44870
Contact via Email
Text the word: GOODWILLIND To: 21777
Visit our Website
- Workforce Development
- Manufacturing & Assembly
- Goodwill Groundskeepers
Goodwill’s mission is to provide employment services to individuals with a disability or disadvantaging conditions to achieve their highest level of personal, social and economic independence.
- Founded in 1902 by Edgar Helms, a Boston Methodist minister.
- He gathered discarded items (household, clothing) from his friends.
- Helms hired people in need to fix donated items for resale; these were people considered unemployable because of mental and physical conditions.
- Helms believed strongly in jobs as a way to help people out of poverty; the Goodwill motto: “A hand up, not a handout” was coined and serves as a core value of Goodwill ever since.
- Goodwill represents the first model of urban outreach ministry and social innovation, as relevant today as when it was founded more than 100 years ago.