Commodore Perry Federal Credit Union
1711 W. Fremont Road
Port Clinton, OH 43452
Text the word: CPFCU To: 72727
Hours of OperationM-F:9am-5pm
The idea for a credit union began when Paul Calhoun was hired in at Port Clinton City Schools and, in looking for a credit union, he found none in the area he was able to join. With the aid of fellow co-workers, they petitioned the National Credit Union Administration (NCUA) to start a credit union. In January 1975, their request was approved for employees of Port Clinton Board of Education, unmarried spouses of persons who died while within the field of membership, persons retired as pensioners or annuitants from the above employment, members of their immediate families and organizations of such persons.
The original Board of Directors included Alex Thomas, Margaret B. Edwards, Melvin M. Ballard, Eugene Meili, Jane Ann Davison, Drew A. Surovjak and Paul H. Calhoun.
The very first credit union office was a shoebox in Mr. Calhoun’s school desk drawer.
Over the years, other school systems in Ottawa County joined the credit union, followed by City of Port Clinton employees. With this growth, the need arose for an actual office site and the credit union moved to Dr. Habitzels’ old office on Madison Street in Port Clinton. This office was originally opened 2 hours a day, 2 days a week, and gradually expanded with the addition of Ottawa County employees and multiple other employers in Ottawa County.